Thursday, October 13, 2011

Meeting Mr. May I

The first thing I remember him saying was,
"I don't write no stories about no damn cats."

But what struck me most was that he could get this out,
cigarette dangling from a lip corner
and a bottle of High Life plugged in the opposite.

"I told you I don't like cats, baby.
They just don't do it for me.

Gimme a dog anyday
with drooling jaws
and his teeth bared in a natural
reflex."

So I ran to the ABC for him
to pick up a bottle of Canadian Club.
And I ran to the Quick Stop for a case of Miller.

And he told me,
"Boy, you wanna be a writer,
get past the baby fuzz and let 'em drop, boy.
Let 'em drop."

The he picked up my guitar and played the
Malaguena
a little at a time.

I've still got the cigarette burns on the headstock.

No comments:

Post a Comment